Gum contouring, also known as gum reshaping, gum sculpting, gum lifting or gingivoplasty is a cosmetic dental procedure that involves removing or reshaping the gumline tissue to improve the appearance of your teeth. The procedure can be used to correct a “gummy” smile, or to even out an uneven gum line. Gum contouring may benefit you to:
- Improve your smile aesthetics: Gum contouring can enhance the appearance of your smile by improving the proportion and symmetry of your teeth and gums.
- Correct a gummy smile: If you have excessive gum tissue that makes your teeth look too short, gum contouring can remove the excess gum tissue to expose more of your teeth.
- Help with dental hygiene: Gum contouring can make it easier to brush and floss your teeth properly, improving your overall dental hygiene.
- Reduce the risk of gum disease: Gum contouring can reduce the pockets between your teeth and gums, making it more difficult for bacteria to accumulate and cause gum disease.
Fast and painless: Gum contouring is a relatively simple and painless procedure that can be completed in just one appointment with the help of an expert.
How is gum contouring done?
During gum contouring, a dental professional will use a laser or a scalpel to remove excess gum tissue and reshape the gumline. The procedure is typically done under local anesthesia and can be completed in a single visit. Here is a general overview of how gum contouring is done:
- Evaluation: The first step is an evaluation by a dental professional to determine if gum contouring is appropriate and necessary. The evaluation includes a thorough examination of the teeth and gums, as well as X-rays to determine the extent of any underlying dental problems.
- Numbing: The next step is to numb the area with a local anesthetic to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Reshaping: Using a scalpel, laser or electrocautery, the dentist carefully removes excess gum tissue to create a more symmetrical and balanced gum line. The goal is to create a more harmonious relationship between the teeth and gums.
- Contouring: Once the excess gum tissue has been removed, the dentist contours and shapes the remaining tissue to create a smooth, natural-looking gum line. This may involve removing small amounts of tissue in certain areas or building up the gum line in others.
- Healing: After the procedure, the patient will be given post-operative instructions on how to care for the gums as they heal. This may include avoiding certain foods and beverages, taking pain medication or antibiotics, and using a special mouth rinse.
Gum contouring is a safe and effective procedure that can improve the appearance of your smile and enhance your self-confidence, but it is important to consult with a dental professional to determine if gum contouring is right for you. If you are interested in this procedure, do not forget to visit Celine Dental. They have a team of qualified dental professionals who can evaluate your needs and provide guidance on the best course of treatment for you.